WHY GROTIUS CHAMBERS?
Formed in 2019, Grotius Chambers is imbued with the traditions and legal innovations of Hugo Grotius. Known as the founder of international law, Grotius was a Dutch advocate, scholar, statesman and diplomat. He was a master jurist and polymath, and his legal innovations have helped to shape international law for centuries and are still influential to date.
Today, Grotius’ philosophy, approach and creativity guide the team at Grotius Chambers in nearly everything it does. We are dedicated to international law in terms of its development and its application in the world. For us, Grotius is more than just a name – it’s a concept, a philosophy, a tradition, an inspiration.
Grotius’ work has shaped the future of international law for centuries – today, we’re focused on doing the same.
THE HAGUE, OF COURSE!
Born in Delft, a mere few kilometres away, Grotius spent much of his working life in The Hague, the political centre of Holland. Today, The Hague not only remains the political centre of the Netherlands, it is also the City of Peace and Justice.
Fittingly, The Hague is our hub.
GROTIUS IS OUR NAME.
But not only. Rather, Grotius embodies a concept, a philosophy, a tradition. We are committed to this tradition – to shape the future. Our vision is to:
- Provide high-quality cross-border legal, policy and advocacy services to governments, international organisations, non-governmental organisations and private clients;
- Work in small, highly nimble, multi-jurisdictional, multilingual, multidisciplinary and multicultural teams that have the requisite skills to provide clients with optimal solutions at top value;
- Add value to the “Ecosystem of Law”;
- Promote and facilitate the rule of law, including by providing easy yet effective access to justice internationally; and
- Contribute significantly to peace and justice.